May 14, 2013

Second Best Cookies

That I've made. I had some macarons once that were awesome. But I bought those. And my mom accidentally threw out my ultimate fave recipe: Peanut Butter Chippers (If you have this - Gimme!! It came from a book a long time ago and I've been attempting to recreate it ever since I lost it...)


Ginger cookies! Unfortunately I can't find the recipe online (there was something about happy cows and chickens which caught my eye...) Anyhoo, I've typed it out for y'all, plus a couple of my own additions.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
1/4 cup molasses (I use a bit more than that)
2-4 tsp ground ginger
2-3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

Plus a bit of white sugar or white sugar mixed with cinnamon to roll the cookies in!

Cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and molasses. Stir in the dry ingredients gradually. I usually mix the first 3/4 of the dry stuff in with my hand mixer and then just squish up the rest with my hands - by this stage the dough is pretty "sturdy" (as the original says - I say dry and hard to mix! Hence my addition of more molasses. But see what you like). Roll the dough into one inch balls and then roll them in white sugar.

Place on greased cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes in a 375 degree (F) oven. Leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Or your tum!

I've really wanted to use these as the crust for a cheesecake. I think that would be epic. Haven't managed to do so, as I'd rather just eat them.